Public Works Department


Public Works Department

The Village of Williamsburg employees several full-time staff members that handle the day to day operations of various public works services.  These services include, but are not limited to, utilities, water, sewer, brush collection, leaf collection, garbage collection, street maintenance, and facility maintenance.


Submit a Public Works Maintenance Request

Do you have brush or leaves that haven’t been collected?  Do you need your sewer lateral jetted?  Do you have other questions or requests for service for the Public Works Department?

If you have a service request, simply contact the Utility Clerk at (513) 724-6107 or via email.


Public Works Staff

Maintenance Coordinator Kyle Cribbet
Directly supervises the Public Works Department and operator in charge of the Village’s waste water treatment plant.

Street Department Supervisor Bryan Bachtel
Directly supervises the Street Department and is responsible for maintenance of public property and facilities in the Village.

• Spencer Capps
• Darren Boothby
• Seasonal Worker Danny Hamblin

The Public Works Department hours of operation are
Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Snow Removal

Williamsburg Department of Public Works is responsible for the removal of ice and snow along public roadway within the municipal corporation of the Village.

The removal of ice and snow is completed on streets in a priority order.  The general priority order for snow and ice removal is as follows:

  1. Main Street (old State Route 32)
  2. Public Streets with moderate to severe grades
  3. All intersections

The Department of Public Works utilizes plowing and salting for snow and ice removal.  The Village is not responsible for the removal of snow and ice from sidewalks.

Utility Service

The Village of Williamsburg provides and bills for water, sewer, and garbage collection service.

The following forms are available to request new utility service, change existing service, or terminate service.  These forms may be downloaded, printed, and submitted to the Utility Clerk in person or via email for processing.

Move In Form
(for newly purchased property)

Move Out Form
(for recently sold property)

Rental Property Information Form
(for rental property tenants)

Information Change Form
(to change account information)

New Connection to Utility Service Form
(to connect to water or sewer service at a vacant property)