Starting a Business


Williamsburg is a great place for businesses of all sizes, from manufacturing to the smallest startups. We want your business opening to go smoothly. If you’re unfamiliar with Village procedures, our Office will guide you through the appropriate development plans, permits, and approvals.

Before Buying Property or Signing a Lease

  • Ensure the lot or building meets Village requirements and is zoned for how you intend to use it.
  • Verify permitted uses, environmental factors, open zoning violations, and more.


Locating in a New or Renovated Building

Zoning Permit approval is required before the construction of a new building or making alterations to the exterior or facade of an existing building. Changes may include landscaping, sidewalks, parking, awnings, lighting, building colors, etc.

Include the following documents with your Zoning Permit Application:

  • The legal description of the property – a copy of the deed and/or survey
  • Aerial photo of property from Clermont County Auditor website
  • Plot Plan drawing including the following:
    1. Property lines, Public right of ways, and all easements
    2. All existing buildings, fences, or other structures
    3. All proposed buildings, fences, sidewalks, or other structures
    4. Existing and proposed utilities or services, if applicable
    5. Existing and proposed dimension from all buildings and structures from property lines
    6. Any other information as needed or determined by the Zoning Administrator and/or Planning Commission

Apply for a Commercial Building Permit after your Zoning Permit is approved, and before you begin construction or renovations, inside or outside. Include the following documents with your permit application (print and complete):

Food services and certain daycare facilities will need to include a menu if the project needs to be reviewed by Clermont County Health Department. Submit your permit application directly to Clermont County Health Department. Application and fees for Clermont County Health Department permits must be made directly with Clermont County.

sign permit is required before you install a permanent or temporary sign. Set parameters for the size, location, and design of signs on the property constructed or managed as a single development are available in the Zoning Code under Articles 24.

Alcohol permits are required for businesses selling or serving alcohol. Submit your permit application directly to the Ohio Department of Commerce Division of Liquor Control.

Locating a New Tenant in an Existing Building with No Changes to the Property or Space

A Change of Use is required anytime a new tenant moves into a building. These permits are classified as:

  • Change of Tenant (moving into space previously permitted for the same building occupancy type, such as business use to business use)
  • Change of Occupancy (moving into space previously approved for a different building code occupancy type, such as from business use to an educational use).

Once a permit has been issued, the required building and fire inspections will need to be scheduled and approved before the Certificate of Occupancy can be issued.

Changing Residential Property into Commercial Property

Converting a house or other residential structure into the commercial property may require rezoning and/or development plan approval before obtaining a building permit to begin construction or renovation, inside or outside.

Some state building code requirements are more stringent for commercial property than those for homes. Examples include:

  • Handicapped access for the site and the bathrooms
  • Weight-bearing limits of floors
  • Width of hallways and corridors
  • Firewalls


Locating a Business in Your Home

Home-Based Businesses are permitted in most residential zoning districts and sometimes require the approval of a Zoning Permit.

When you are ready to take the next step and open your business, call our office at (513) 724-6107.