Williamsburg is a great place for businesses of all sizes, from manufacturing to the smallest startups. We want your business opening to go smoothly. If you’re unfamiliar with Village procedures, our Office will guide you through the appropriate development plans, permits and approvals.
Before Buying Property or Signing a Lease
- Ensure the lot or building meets Village requirements and is zoned for how you intend to use it.
- Verify permitted uses, environmental factors, open zoning violations and more.
Locating in a New or Renovated Building
Zoning Permit approval is required prior to construction of a new building or making alterations to the exterior or facade of an existing building. Changes may include landscaping, sidewalks, parking, awnings, lighting, building colors, etc.
Include the following documents with your Zoning Permit Application:
- Legal description of property – copy of deed and/or survey
- Aerial photo of property from Clermont County Auditor website
- Plot Plan drawing including the following:
- Property lines, Public right of ways, and all easements
- All existing buildings, fences, or other structures
- All proposed buildings, fences, sidewalks, or other structures
- Existing and proposed utilities or services, if applicable
- Existing and proposed dimension from all buildings and structures from property lines
- Any other information as needed or determine by the Zoning Administrator and/or Planning Commission
Apply for a Commercial Building Permit after your Zoning Permit is approved, and before you begin construction or renovations, inside or outside. Include the following documents with your permit application (print and complete):
- Clermont County Checklist
- Clermont County Building Permit – reference Ohio Building Code
- A floor plan of the space to be occupied, drawn to scale, showing and identifying each room, bathrooms, doorways, exits, reception areas, etc.
- An overall building plan, drawn to scale, clearly identify the name, address, and type of business for each tenant space.
Food services and certain day care facilities will need to include a menu if the project needs to be reviewed by Clermont County Health Department. Submit your permit application directly to Clermont County Health Department. Application and fees for Clermont County Health Department permits must be made directly with Clermont County.
A sign permit is required before you install a permanent or temporary sign. Set parameters for the size, location and design of signs on property constructed or managed as a single development are available in the Zoning Code under Articles 24.
Alcohol permits are required for businesses selling or serving alcohol. Submit your permit application directly to Ohio Department of Commerce Division of Liquor Control.
Locating a New Tenant in an Existing Building with No Changes to the Property or Space
A Change of Use is required anytime a new tenant moves into a space. These permits are classified as:
- Change of Tenant (moving into a space previously permitted for the same building occupancy type, such as business use to business use)
- Change of Occupancy (moving into a space previously approved for a different building code occupancy type, such as from a business use to an educational use).
Once a permit has been issued, the required building and fires inspections will need to be scheduled and approved before the Certificate of Occupancy can be issued.
Changing Residential Property into Commercial Property
Converting a house or other residential structure into commercial property may require rezoning and/or development plan approval prior to obtaining a building permit to begin construction or renovation, inside or outside.
Some state building code requirements are more stringent for commercial property than those for homes. Examples include:
- Handicapped access for the site and the bathrooms
- Weight-bearing limits of floors
- Width of hallways and corridors
Locating a Business in Your Home
Home-Based Businesses are permitted in most residential zoning districts and sometimes require approval of an Accessory Use Permit.
When you are ready to take the next step and open your business, call our Office at (513) 724-6107.